Start against the panel of wisdom! Using DNA from our mysterious puppy, we try both DNA tests for dogs to find out which is best.
Ever since Miles came into our lives, we have been asked countless times about his breed. We always had to say we had no idea. So we finally decided to try two different sets of canine DNA tests to find out which breeds are combined to make ours wonderful.
Comparing the test results from Embark and Wisdom Panel should give us a good correction of Myles’ legacy and help you decide which kit would work best for you!
Comparison of dog DNA testing kits
Both the introduction kits and the wisdom kits are very simple. There are some small differences, but the functionality is essentially identical. Each set includes:
Tampon (or 2 in the case of the Wisdom Panel) Instructions for using tampons to get your dog’s DNA samples Activation code to set up your account online Prepaid packaging to send your tampons back to the testing lab
Difference between the two sets
Embark has 1 swab with a sponge tip and a vial of stabilizing liquid The Wisdom panel has 2 swabs with bristles Embark packaging is more complex
Embark and Wisdom Panel offer several different canine DNA test kits.
The basic Embark breed identification kit gives you your dog’s DNA composition of 350+ breeds, a family tree, an option to find relatives of your dog if they have been tested by Embark, and access to research. The price of this kit is $ 129. If you choose this option, you can upgrade to get information about your dog’s health and characteristics later by paying an additional fee.
The Breed + Health kit from Embark that we chose gives you everything from the Breed ID kit, plus screens for 200+ health risks and 20+ physical features. This kit is listed at $ 199, but we were able to find it on the Embark and Amazon websites for $ 159.
Wisdom Panel’s basic dog DNA testing kit gives you your dog’s DNA composition of 350+ breeds, species and varieties, states it has 1% breed accuracy, tests for 25+ medical complications and includes 35+ tests for signs. The price of this set is $ 99.
The Wisdom Panel Premium dog DNA test kit provides all the benefits of the Essential Kit plus genetic diversity assessment and veterinary advice for remarkable health findings for $ 159.
The process of using both tests is very simple. No matter which test you choose, all you have to do is rub the swab on the inside of your dog’s mouth between his gums and cheek.
Both tests provide easy-to-follow instructions, from time spent in a tampon, to how long to wait after your dog eats to use it for the test.
Activate your account
You will also receive an activation code with each kit used to create an account and add your dog’s profile to the company’s website. During the process, you will receive updates via email and log in to your account to see your dog’s results when they are ready.
Pack it and send it back
Both Embark and Wisdom Panel include prepaid packages to send your dog’s DNA samples back to the lab via USPS. The package is small enough to put in a mailbox, so you don’t have to go to the post office to send them.
What breed is Miles?
We are so excited to get the results of the Myles test and want to have some fun while we wait. Let’s find out which breeds make up his DNA and see who is closest!
Here are some clues that may affect your assumptions:
1. We found Miles as homeless in San Antonio, Texas.
2. We believe he is about 17 months old.
3. He is skinny, weighing 39.5 pounds and measuring 22.5 inches at the shoulder.
4. He is a very “talkative” boy, although he does not bark much. He loves to sing arrooooo to get people’s attention, and makes many other sounds, some of which sound like Chewbacca.
5. Miles is not a fan of water in any form … baths, rain, lakes, streams, snow or puddles.
6. He has never met a person or dog that he does not like.
7. His ears measure 4 inches from base to tip when they are fully extended.
8. He lurks squirrels, rabbits and lizards.
9. It is mostly tiger-colored with freckled white breasts and chin, white fingers and a white tail tip.
1. One record per person.
2. To be introduced for victory, leave a comment on THIS POST ONLY with the breeds that you think make up Myles DNA. There will be two winners: those who have guessed the cabinet for the test results from Embark and Wisdom Panel. In the event of a tie, the winners will be the first assumptions sent.
3. You must be logged in with a valid email address. I will not sell it, send you spam or add it to any list. I will only use it to contact you if you win.
4. The race opens NOW and closes at 9:00 PM Eastern on Monday, June 7, 2021. On Tuesday, June 8, I will share the results of the DNA test of Myles’ dog along with the names of the winners in this post.
It is! Feel free to browse the blog, our Facebook page or our Instagram feed for other Myles photos if you need different angles, close-ups, etc. In addition, you can search Google for specific breeds or anything that will help you narrow down your assumptions.