November 6, 2017
Author: Whitney Whitehouse, Trailblazer
It’s no secret, our hairy companions love treats, and people love to spoil them equally.
Like most people, I usually buy dog treats at the store, but there is nothing more satisfying and enjoyable than spending an autumn evening at home making your dog treats while they stare at you because it smells so delicious. Not only is it fun to make homemade treats, but it’s important to know what’s in your dog’s stomach and there’s no better way than to regulate it yourself!
These treats are full of fiber, vitamin E, vitamin C, antioxidants and more! Perfect for giving the dog a little extra energy on the trail. They are even approved by Jazz.Paws!
1.5 cups oatmeal (made from chopped steel oats in a coffee grinder)
2/3 cup dried blueberries
1/2 cup dried apples (cut into small pieces)
1/2 cup dried bananas (cut into small pieces)
1/2 cup peanut butter
2/3 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 cup rice milk
1. Preheat the oven to 350 °
2. Make oatmeal by grinding 1.5 cups of steel oats in a coffee grinder
3. Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix together to make sure everything is mixed. Don’t forget to wash your hands thoroughly after you are ready to touch the mixture!
4. Form a ball with the mixture and place on a flat cutting board, using parchment paper or flour to eliminate sticking. Level the mixture with a rolling pin or your hands (sometimes you have to improvise J). The thickness should be about ¼ inches thick.
5. Use cookie cutters to cut shapes out of the flattened mixture and move the cut pieces into an ungreased baking sheet.
6. Roll each additional mixture into small balls to use as training treats (place them on a different pan so you can cook them in less time).
7. Place the clippings and rolled balls in the oven, on separate pans.
8. Bake the smaller cake treats for 9 minutes or until golden brown underneath.
9. Bake larger treats for 18 minutes or until golden brown underneath.
10. Remove from the oven and allow to cool before removing the baking sheet. Place in a sealed, airtight container until you are ready to walk the trail with your puppy!
11. Hit the trail with your dog and smile as they wag their tails with these delicious treats!